A national public health disaster has been declared for the United States of America. The Center for Disease Control or Texas Department of State Health Services are the go-to places for information as it pertains to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
In-person access to all City departments is limited, and phone calls and emails are the primary methods of doing business.
In response to National and State Emergency declarations and to provide for the public health, safety, and welfare of all people, the City of Hitchcock has taken the following measures:
• City essential staff continue to work and can address questions, concerns, and general inquiries. Again, phone calls and emails are the methods of communication. The main phone number for the City is 409-986-5591. Non-essential personnel have been sent home.
• City Commission meetings will be on an as needed basis, focused on required action items.
• Other committees’ meetings will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• In accordance with Order of the Office of the Governor issued March 16th, 2020, the governor has suspended various provisions of the Open Meetings Act pursuant to his state disaster authority, and the attorney general’s office has issued guidance on the suspension. Tex. Gov’t Code § 418.016(e). The changes are effective March 16, 2020, until further notice or until the state disaster declaration expires.
• No disruptions of utilities of any kind are anticipated.
• The Hitchcock Water Department continues to provide quality water with no issues. The Hitchcock Water Department office window is open for emergencies only.
• Hitchcock customer water customer payments should be made using the mail, utility drop box at City Hall, online, or automatic draft. Payments by phone are accepted at the automated pay by phone number 833-282-0826 or visit http://www.cityofhitchcock.org to pay your water bill online.
• Trash service, Ameriwaste is maintaining its standard operations and is not experiencing service interruptions at this time. If circumstances change that may impact the ability to provide trash services as scheduled, we will provide prompt updates to our residents. Remember, Ameriwaste will not pick-up trash that is not in a trash bag.
• The Municipal Court Office will be closed until April 6, 2020.
• All court dates have been canceled until further notice.
• For fines or warrants use the City website http://www.cityofhitchcock.org to pay by credit card or drop off payments in the secured drop box at City Hall, 7423 Highway 6. Be sure to put your name or citation number with the payment.
• Defensive driving certification may be put in the secured drop box at City Hall or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Permit Department will be open from 8:00 A.M. through 1:00 P.M.
• Notice to contractors and homeowners: Access to the permit office is limited until further notice. Homeowners and contractors needing to apply for building permit applications must submit the application and a digital copy of plans via email to email@example.com. Credit card payments for permits and re-inspection may be paid over the phone. If you have any questions, please call Janie Avila, permit clerk at 409-986-5591.
• As always, if you have an emergency, call 911
• Police. The Police Department will continue its normal course of operations in the field. Outside access to the Police Department Offices is limited to police personnel only. Police Department administration is available at 409-986-5559. Information regarding City operations, meetings, and closures are subject to change. Changes will be updated on the website http://www.cityofhitchcock.org and social media as they occur.